What is the New York Prescription Saver Card? (Spanish, Chinese)
The New York State prescription drug benefit makes partial payments for prescriptions.  You will receive a card that you use when you buy your prescriptions. You can save as much as 60 percent on generics and 30 percent on brand name prescriptions when you use a participating pharmacy.

Who can apply for this plan?
New York State residents if they are not receiving Medicaid and are:

  • 50 to 65 years old,
  • a person who has a disability according to the Social Security Administration; and
  • has an annual household income less than $35,000 if you are single or $50,000 if you are married.

How do I apply?
You can apply online http://nyprescriptionsaver.fhsc.com; or
Print out the application &
Application Instructions, fill it out and mail it to:
New York Prescription Saver
P.O. Box 12069
Albany, New York, 12212-2069;
Call 1-800-788-6917 or if you are hearing impaired or deaf call 1-800-290-9138;
You can call 646-442-4186 and ask for a CIDNY benefits counselor or come in to use one of CIDNY’s computers.

How long does it take to receive my discount card?
You will receive a discount card within two weeks after you application is approved.  The approval process takes about one week once the application has been received. 

Where can I use my discount card?
You can use your discount card at any of the participating pharmacies – list is online http://nyprescriptionsaver.fhsc.com.  Locate the “pharmacy” tag and click on it.  If you don’t have access to the internet, you may call CIDNY and ask for assistance.

How can I find out whether my prescriptions are on the discount list?
For a general list go to http://nyprescriptionsaver.fhsc.com.  The list is limited and the prescriptions allowed change frequently, so it is important to check with your pharmacist or call the New York Prescription Saver program at 1-800-788-6917 to make sure your drugs are covered.  If you don’t have access to the internet, you can contact a benefits counselor at CIDNY, 212-673-2300 or come into the office to use one of our computers.

What are examples of income?

  • Income from wages
  • IRA distribution
  • Dividends and interest on any bank account
  • Social Security including Social Security Disability Income over the amount allowed stated above
  • Railroad pensions
  • Workers’ Compensation
  • Veterans’ benefits
  • Other forms of income — for example lottery winnings

What is not included as income?

  • Food Stamps
  • Medicaid
  • Scholarships
  • Grants
  • Surplus Food
  • Payments made to Veterans for Agent Orange exposure
  • Payments made to victims of Nazi persecution.

Do I have to include my spouse’s income?
If you are married and living together you must include both of your incomes even if your spouse is not applying.

Can my child be covered by this program even if I’m not eligible?
If I have a child with a disability who receives Social Security benefits, your child may be eligible for this program.   If your child needs prescription coverage, you must apply for them but you don’t need to include your income.

If I am a single adult with a disability and I live with my parents, what income do I have to report?
Only include your income; not the income of your parents.

If I have a Medicaid Spenddown can I still use the discount card?

Yes.  Although individuals with regular Medicaid are not eligible and you cannot deduct medical expenses from the gross income being reported, individuals with Medicaid Spenddown can use NYPSC in order to pay less for their medication.

Getting Help
Call the New York Prescription Saver program at 1-800-788-6917 or go online to www.nyprescriptionsaver.fhsc.com.  You can also call CIDNY at 646-442-4186 and ask to speak to a benefits counselor.